Friday, February 8, 2008

Today in New York

I felt unusually productive today! I've been talking a lot with my friend Diva the past few days because she is moving to San Diego, and she explained to me that it has to do with the Lunar New Year, and how you act and live during the first few days of the Lunar New Year can impact the rest of your year. Okay then.

I went to campus to apply for a job and I already have an interview lined up. That's good. The job is 4-16 hours a week and pays chump change. That's ... less good. Hopefully it'll be a good recurring thing I can do and they'll schedule me well in advance so that I can work a second job with little to no hassle.

I also found my balls and finally went to the theater department office to get a written application, which I have to get done this weekend. I'm at a crossroads, however, because I've realized that it will likely take me three more years to get the degree. That will mean I have spent seven years going for a bachelor's. Is that not ridiculous? Not to mention my hang-up about my age. I don't know ... it's something I am going to have to decide for myself, because Erin is in France and Loretta is in Vegas.

I e-mailed a sleep clinic last night and they called me back today, but now I'm debating if I should call them back. Should I see how this week goes and if I screw up again, THEN call them? What if they don't take insurance? I'm very good at second-guessing everything ...

I took the subway to Chelsea to get my hair cut. I missed the D train by .25 seconds, so I had to hop on the slow R train which stops every five feet. A nice young European man asked me how many stops to City Hall, and when I explained what college I went to, he was very impressed and said it was a very difficult school. See, why didn't I know that during my first semester? I came from Minnesota, and I didn't really have the perspective about the what's what of the CUNY system. Anyway, I was still quite cold to him and I wonder why. I am not the beacon of warm energy that I once was.

Then I got my hair cut after taking forever to find a Bank of America ATM. The barbers at the place I go to are Eastern European, and the man who did my hair is very rough -- grabs your shoulders to put you back, palms your head a lot, and I think it's probably a good thing that he works in a gay neighborhood, because then immature people like me are like "Ooooh, I think I went to first!" whereas if he was working in Brooklyn he would be gettin a lot attitude and "Watch the hair!"

I took the C train for a bit, and an old man hobbled in with a cane and damn near got squished in the door. Then he sat down and kept having outbursts like "OH!" and "OUCH!" and I couldn'nt help but be callous and wonder who lets these people on the train by themselves. Then I got on my 2 train and an OLD MAN PISSED HIS PANTS. I hate the subway, I thought to myself, and then I was in front of a 4-year-old child who didn't know how to chew with his mouth closed. No wonder rich people feel so above mass transit.

No comments: