Saturday, March 22, 2008

My Dinner With...

I was tagged by StinkyLulu to participate in a "My Dinner With..." meme, originally brought upon by Lazy Eye Theatre.

The meme requires your dinner guest to be from the film industry, which ruled out my first choice. Rosie O'Donnell may have the career I want, but I'm petty and annoyed that she invited annoying people on her cruise last week (I'll forgive Danny Noreiga because he's young, but ANT? Really?), and while I really do think Channing Tatum is a good actor (no, REALLY!), I don't think I could be in the same room with him without turning into some kind of goo.

But a few years ago, I began having recurring dreams about a particular movie star, and I don't mean THOSE kind of dreams. In the first one we were at Friday's with my brother, and in the other one I was on a talk show being asked about his recent break-up because I was apparently the Sandra Bernhard to his Madonna or the Leah Remini to his Jennifer Lopez (read: somewhat famous but not AS famous as the best friend). It was the spring of 2005, when I was a cashier at Walgreens and ringing up tabloids all day with him on the cover, and in my third-trimester senior year class of Mass Media -- a sluff class if there ever was one -- my friend Meaghan and I decided to do our final project on ...



1. Pick a single person, past or present, in the film industry who you'd like to have dinner with, and tell us why you chose this person.

So yes, there were the dreams that make me think I have a psychic connection with the man when really it just makes me sound like a raving lunatic (to be fair, I've also dreamed Angelina Jolie was dispensing advice while we were in a pool). But insanely good looks aside, I find William Bradley Pitt to be fascinating and inspirational. He dropped out of college in his final semester to pursue acting. His breakthrough role in Thelma & Louise made him a star, but also gave him a pretty-boy image he spent fifteen years trying to shake off. He's brought forth a new wave of celebrity, trying to turn the negatives of the TMZ-ification of the world into something positive.

2. Set the table for your dinner. What would you eat? Would it be in a home or at a restaurant? And what would you wear? Feel free to elaborate on the details.

It would most definitely be in a restaurant, since boiling water is a miracle for me. While my dreams would recommend Friday's, I picture a sickeningly pretentious Manhattan restaurant in a dinner party setting. For some reason they split up couples at fancy dinner parties to encourage socializing, so Brad and I would be on one end of the table while Angelina would be at the other end of the table discussing European culture with my best friend Erin McCloskey. My outfit would be 10% the cost of Mr. Pitt's but I'm sure it would look just as nice, because I have finally discovered designers that actually make button-downs in a size Small.

3. List five thoughtful questions you would ask this person during dinner.
-"Was there a catalyst or final straw that made you leave Missouri to be an actor, instead of choosing the life you would have had with your journalism major? How does one arrive at that decision?"
- "In your early career, most of your publicity centered around your looks. When did you feel validated or accepted in Hollywood as a serious actor?"
- "What has been the most overwhelming aspect of fatherhood?"
- "You told GQ Magazine'I embrace the messiness of life. I find it so beautiful, actually.' When did you discover this sentiment? How has it helped you?"
- "Meet Joe Black? Really?"

4. When all is said and done, select six bloggers to pass this Meme along to. Link back to Lazy Eye Theatre, so that people know the mastermind behind this Meme.

I don't even know if six people read this! I'll have better luck on LiveJournal.

No comments: