Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Present is a Present

I have been doing this thing lately while I try hard to be present, like Rhonda and Iyanla would say on Starting Over. I first really started doing this last month when I visited my former digs at Stout -- just trying to not do the "what if" and the "woulda coulda shoulda" but just recognizing where I am in that moment.

Now that there's a 90% chance that I will not be staying in New York, I am doing that here, too. For the past two days I have walked the Brooklyn Bridge. When the weather is beautiful in New York, I feel there is no excuse not to walk one of the bridges. Today I walked from Brooklyn into Manhattan and even took out my iPod, hearing all of the various foreign languages and rolling my eyes when a crabby lady yelled "BIKE LANE!" to people in her way. I am all about etiquette, but it's a crowded beautiful afternoon on a Saturday. People have to walk in the bike lane, lady, and half the bridge doesn't speak English and the other half is like me and could really give two shits.

I walked around the city today and took AWFUL pictures of random things, and can't wait to post them. I am not a good photographer and have never fancied myself one. I am all about the candids, people. A sailor on the bridge said hello to me and I was not mad. Fleet Week has turned me into even more of a 13-year-old girl than I usually am.

I rode the 2 train back home. I cannot describe the 2 train other than to say that God's people are on it. There's a feeling of community and humanity that I feel seeing all of the families on that train.

1 comment:

Teddy Douglas said...

Your blog is so encouraging, I feel like it's always there for me. Watching you grow up... Ok now this sounds creepy. Well, take it in the not-creepy way.