Sunday, December 9, 2007

Heckled in Herald

I got heckled today
in Herald Square

It has happened so many times before
In Minneapolis and surrounding areas
And in Menomonie Wisconsin
And it will undoubtedly happen again

I just did not think
It could ever happen
In Herald Square
In the middle of Manhattan
In the middle of a city of 8 million
Where everyone has a dream
And we are all God's people

I live in a quote unquote black neighborhood
In South Flatbush Brooklyn
My first month here
I was afraid
Of them being afraid
I was waiting for it
Waiting for the catcalls
Waiting for the words
They never came
Because people really don't care

And when I walked south to Midwood Brooklyn
And met the racist 90-year-old lady
I realized we are all God's people
And why should I be afraid
And my neighbors are my neighbors
Kumbaya

It is a double-edged sword
Because if I was not that way
Well I would not have been Jakey
I would not have been The Diva
I would not have been in a posse of six attractive girls
I would not have had The UW
Whitey and I would not have been The Odd Couple
If I was not this way
My humor
Would not come from that place

But if I was not that way
I would not have to deal with this shit
Time and time again
I would not have to lower my voice ten octaves on the phone
To avoid being called ma'am or Mrs. xxxxxx

Famousphere Boy
I don't know what to say
"I'll fly you out here
You can meet agents"
"I miss you"
"I wish you were here"

Sorry kid
I'm not confident anymore
And I know it's all about who you know
But I want to feel that whatever I get
I will have earned

I am too squeamish
For Grey's Anatomy

I am so getting fired
From the Banana

No comments: