Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Minneapolis

I wasn't going to update this thing until I officially moved, but I just want to say something about my hometown of Minneapolis in the wake of the 35-W bridge collapsing earlier this evening.

I'm horrible with directions, but even so, I realize how often I have crossed that bridge in my life. It is the bridge that goes downtown, to the Mall of America, to the airport. Literally everyone living in the metropolitan area can truthfully say they've crossed it. I keep waiting for the dreadful news that I am going to know someone who was on it, whether it is a classmate from Stout or a friend of a friend.

In a way I feel a sense of guilt, because I am leaving Minneapolis just as it is about to fight for itself, to begin a project that will likely take years (we did get a light system a few years ago, but it doesn't go to the south suburbs, perhaps the heaviest force of traffic). That said, I know that the Minneapolis/St. Paul people are resilient, helpful and caring, and those qualities will help the area recover from one of the most tragic days in Minnesota history.

No comments: